This article contains most of the important information you need to know about Close Project or phase process in order to answer questions related to this topic in the PMP Exam, I recommend you review this type of articles 1 week before your exam date, all information mentioned are based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition and PMP Exam Prep 9th edition for Rita Maclhy’s, ITTO refers to Inputs, Tools & Techniques and outputs.
This process is a part of Closing Process group and Integration Management Knowledge Area with the following ITTO’s:
- Project Charter
- Project Management Plan
- Project documents ( Assumption log , issue log , change log , basis of estimates , lessons learned register , milestone list , project communications , quality control measurements , quality report , requirements documentation , risk register and risk report )
- Accepted Deliverables
- Business documents (Business case , benefits management plan )
- Procurement documentation
- Organizational Process Assets
Tools & Techniques:
- Expert Judgment
- Data Analysis ( Documentation analysis , Regression analysis , Trend analysis , variance analysis )
- Final Product/Result/Service.
- Final Report
- Project document updates ( Lessons learnt register )
- Organizational Process Updates
- Close project or phase is the process of finalizing all activities of the project, phase or contract.
- Key benefits of this process is that project information is archived, planned work is completed, and organization team resources are released to pursue new endeavors .
- Efforts done in this process finalizes all activities of the project to formally close out the phase or the project.
- Many of Project managers think that the project is done when the technical work is completed , Project Closing have 2 main parts , Closing project or phase and close procurements.
- The project should always be closed, no matter is the circumstances under which it stops, it’s terminated or completed.
- Financial, legal and administrative efforts involved in closing a project.
- Close Procurements should be completed before project closure.
- If a project is multiphase project, this process will be done at the end of each phase once and at the end of the whole project once.
- Close Project process includes the following efforts:
- Confirm work is done according to requirements.
- Complete Procurement closure.
- Gain final and formal acceptance of the product.
- Complete financial Closure.
- Hand off completed product to operations.
- Get feedback from the customer about the product.
- Complete final performance reporting.
- Index and archive records.
Note: Expect to see a lot of questions in the PMP Exam about this topic as closing process group contains only one process and it have the share of 7% of exam questions.