This article contains most of the important information you need to know about Acquire Project team process in order to answer questions related to this topic in the PMP Exam, I recommend you review this type of articles 1 week before your exam date, all information mentioned are based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition and PMP Exam Prep 9th edition for Rita Maclhy’s, ITTO refers to Inputs, Tools & Techniques and outputs.
This process is a part of executing Process group and Resources Management Knowledge Area with the following ITTO’s
- Project Management Plan ( Resources , Procurement Management Plans , Cost baseline )
- Project Documents ( Stakeholder Register , Project Schedule , Recourses Calendar , Recourses Requirements )
- Organizational Process Assets
- Enterprise environmental factors
- Pre assignment
- Interpersonal and team skills (Negotiations)
- Virtual teams
- Decision Making (Multi Criteria Decision analysis )
- Physical Recourses Requirements
- Project Team assignments
- Change Requests
- Resources Calendar
- Project Management Plan updates ( Recourses Management , Cost baseline )
- Project Document Updates ( Lessons learned register , Project schedule , recourses breakdown structure , recourses requirements , risk register , stakeholder register
- Enterprise Environmental factor updates
- Organizational Process Assets Updates
- Recourses needed for the project can be internal or external to the organization performing the project , Internal recourses are required through recourses managers while external recourses are acquired through Procurement department .
- Some examples of decision criteria used in this process are : Availability , cost , ability , experience , knowledge , skills , attitude, international factors )
- Halo Effect (Cognitive Bias): If he is good at one thing, he will be good at everything, it’s tendency to rate team members on specific factor or due to specific impression.
- When physical or team recourses for a project are determined in advanced they are considered pre-assignment .
- Trainings for the acquired team are usually paid by the organization not by the project.
- Teams used in projects can be divided into 4 groups:
- Dedicated, easiest to deal with from project manager side, usually found in projectize organizations.
- Part Time, Often seen in Functional & Matrix organizations.
- Partnerships, groups from different organizations, Hard to manage by project manager but cost saving.
- Virtual team, difficult communications.
- Project Manager have the full control on dedicated team, in part time team he should coordinate with functional manager, in Partnerships and virtual teams the project manager should spend time on risk analysis and communication management.
- Physical recourses requirements are documentation of the physical recourses assignments records the material , equipment, supplies , locations and other physical recourses that will be used during the project .
- Major Tools & Techniques :
- Pre assignment: Project manager should deal with team members assigned in advanced as part of project team.
- Negotiations: Frequently used in gaining resources from within your organization or in procurement situations.
- Virtual Teams: It’s more challenging to manage this type of project team due to communication issues, time, language & cultural differences.