This article contains most of the important information you need to know about Develop Project team process in order to answer questions related to this topic in the PMP Exam, I recommend you review this type of articles 1 week before your exam date, all information mentioned are based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition and PMP Exam Prep 9th edition for Rita Maclhy’s, ITTO refers to Inputs, Tools & Techniques and outputs.
This process is a part of executing Process group and Human Resources Management Knowledge Area with the following ITTO’s
- Project Management Plan (Resources Management Plan)
- Project Documents ( Resources Calendar , Project team assignments, lessons learned register , project schedule , Team charter )
- Enterprise Environmental factors
- Organizational Process Assets
- Virtual teams
- Communication Technology
- Interpersonal Skills ( Conflict management , Influencing , Motivation , negotiation , Team building )
- Ground Rules
- Individual and team assignments
- Recognition & rewards
- Personal Assignment tools
- Team performance assessments
- Change Requests
- Project Management Plan Updates ( Lessons learned register , Project schedule , project team assignments , recourses calendar , Team charter )
- Enterprise environmental factors updates
- Organizational Process assets updates
- The process of improving competencies, team member interactions, and the overall team environment to enhance project performance.
- The main purpose of this process is decreased turnover, increased individual skills & improved team work.
- Project manager should be able to capitalize all members’ cultures.
- Tuckman Ladder: It defines the following steps in sequence for developing project team
- Forming: People are bought together as team.
- Storming: Disagreements.
- Norming: Building food relationships
- Performing: Team become efficient, in this phase project manager can focus on individual member’s improvement.
- Adjuring: Project ends and team disabled.
- Major Tools & Techniques :
- Team Building Activities: WBS creation is a strong team building tool. Trust is gained or lost from the first minute you meet a team member, it is affected by project manager repetition, team building activities may include outside work trips, birthday celebrations & milestone parties.
- Personal assessment tool: used to help the project manager learn more about his team in order to deal with them and guide them.
- Trainings: Increase efficiency, usually covered by organization.
- Ground rules: Setting ground rules help eliminates conflicts or problems and it’s very important when managing virtual teams, mainly used to decrease bad behavior.
- Colocation (Tight Matrix): The project may have “War Room” , Central location for project coordination, it improves communications , decrease impact of conflict.
- Recognition & Rewards: Project manager should appraise performance.
- Team Performance assessments, Major output of the process, Project manager should complete formal and informal team performance assessments as part of team development.