This article contains most of the important information you need to know about Direct and manage project work process in order to answer questions related to this topic in the PMP Exam, I recommend you review this type of articles 1 week before your exam date, all information mentioned are based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition and PMP Exam Prep 9th edition for Rita Maclhy’s, ITTO refers to Inputs, Tools & Techniques and outputs.
This process is a part of executing Process group and Integration Management Knowledge Area with the following ITTO’s
- Project Management Plan
- Project Documents ( Project team assignments , lessons learnt register , Stakeholder register, source selection criteria , resource breakdown structure )
- Enterprise Environmental Factors.
- Organization Process Assets.
- Knowledge Management
- Information Management
- Expert Judgment
- Interpersonal and team skills ( Active listening , facilitation , leadership , networking , Political awareness )
- Lessons learnt register
- Project Management Plan updates
- Organizational Process Assets Updates
- It’s the process of using existing knowledge and creating knew knowledge to achieve project objectives and contribute to organizational learning.
- Knowledge is commonly split into Explicit and tacit.
- Explicit knowledge is a fact based, and can easily be communicated through words and symbols, it may need explanation to provide value to recipients of this information, and it can be readily codified into words, pictures and numbers.
- Tacit Knowledge includes emotions, experience and ability, which are more difficult to communicate clearly, sharing this type of knowledge requires an atmosphere of trust. It’s personal and difficult to express such as beliefs and insights.
- From organizational perspective, knowledge management is about making sure the skills , experience , and expertise of the project team and other stakeholders are used before , during and after the project .
- Work shadowing and activity observation are techniques used for sharing knowledge , instead of receiving hard to understand process documentation , a team member can watch someone doing a particular job or activity to more easily learn the process .
- Specific knowledge share through this process is referred to as lessons learned , it will be used both as an input to and output of many processes .
- Lessons learned are collected and saved in a lessons learned register which is the key output of this process , It’s a living document which will be shared throughout the project .
- Using categories will ensure that all lessons learned are captured use categories such as : technical , project management and management .