This article contains most of the important information you need to know about Manage Quality in order to answer questions related to this topic in the PMP Exam, I recommend you review this type of articles 1 week before your exam date, all information mentioned are based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition and PMP Exam Prep 9th edition for Rita Maclhy’s, ITTO refers to Inputs, Tools & Techniques and outputs.
This process is a part of executing Process group and Quality Management Knowledge Area with the following ITTO’s
- Quality Management Plan
- Project documents ( Lessons learned register , Quality control measurements , Quality Metrics , Risk report )
- Organizational process assets
- Data Gathering ( Check lists )
- Data Analysis ( Alternative Analysis , Document analysis, Process Analysis , root cause analysis )
- Decision Making ( multicriteria decision analysis )
- Data Representation ( Affinity diagram, cause and effect diagrams , flow charts , histograms, matrix diagrams , scatter diagrams )
- Quality audits
- Design for x
- Problem solving
- Quality improvement methods
- Quality Reports
- Test and evaluation documents
- Change Requests
- Project Management Plan updates ( Quality management plan , scope baseline , schedule baseline, cost baseline )
- Project Document Updates ( Issue log , lessons learned register , risk register )
- Usually this process is done through a third party or Quality assurance Department.
- This process insures all Quality standards are being followed
- It’s the process of translating the quality management plan into executable quality activities that incorporate the organization’s quality policies into a project .
- Manage Quality is sometimes called Quality assurance .
- It’s concerned with overall process improvement for activities and processes.
- Major Tools & Techniques
- Affinity Diagram: used to organize thoughts, group the results of root cause analysis.
- Tree Diagram: Useful for decision analysis, help organize data & Map relationship.
- Process Decision Program charts (PDPC): Defines a goal then mention the steps required to achieve this goal.
- Interrelationship Diagrams: Map the relationships between different issues.
- Matrix Diagrams: visual representation between 2 or more sets of items.
- Prioritization Diagrams: Useful for decision analysis about process improvement and quality management plan components that may need to change, you prioritize both issues and solutions.
- Activity Network Diagram: in order Improve time management process.
- Quality Audit: It’s done by Quality assurance department or the project manager if there is no QA Department in order to verify quality of processes, to seek improvement, identify best practices, and reduce overall cost of quality.
- Quality Review: To review Quality management plan.
- Process analysis: Mainly used when there’s multiple installations, lessons learned from first installations should help.