This article contains most of the important information you need to know about Identify Stakeholders process in order to answer questions related to this topic in the PMP Exam, I recommend you review this type of articles 1 week before your exam date, all information mentioned are based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition and PMP Exam Prep 9th edition for Rita Maclhy’s, ITTO refers to Inputs, Tools & Techniques and outputs.
This process is a part of Initiating Process group and Stakeholder Management Knowledge Area with the following ITTO’s:
- Project Charter
- Business Documents ( Business Case , Benefits management plan )
- Project management Plan ( Communications Management Plan , Stakeholder Engagement plan )
- Project Documents ( Change log , Issue log , Requirements Documentation )
- Organizational Process Assets
- Enterprise Environmental Factors
Tools & Techniques:
- Expert Judgment
- Data Gathering ( Questionnaires and surveys , Brainstorming )
- Data Analysis (Stakeholders Analysis , Document Analysis )
- Data Representation ( Stakeholder mapping representation )
- Stakeholder Register
- Change Requests
- Project Management Plan Updates (Communications , Requirements and Risk Management Plans , Stakeholder Engagement plan )
- Project Document Updates ( Assumption log , Issue log ,Risk Register )
- Stakeholders are groups or individuals who may affect the project or being affected by the project.
- It’s an important process since any stakeholders who are missed will be likely found later , when they are discovered they will probably ask for changes, changes mad later on will cost the project much more than if it was indicated earlier , so you should identify all of them.
- Identify Stakeholder process is done by the Project manager and Project team.
- Procurement Documents is an important input as it includes all contracts signed with suppliers and customers who are considered as stakeholders.
- Stakeholders from operation side should be identified and documented.
- Stakeholders have the greatest impact during the initial stage of the project.
- Stakeholder’s Hot buttons are responses in specific situation which must be determined in this process.
- Stakeholder Analysis technique is used here to analyze each stakeholder potential impact or influence to manage effectively throughout project life.
- Classification tools which can be used include Power/Influence grid, Power/Interest grid, Influence/impact grid & salience Model.
- Salience Model which describes stakeholders based on Power, Urgency, and Legitimacy.
- Stakeholders who have high interest in the project with great influence must be closely managed throughout the project life.
- The only output of this process is the Stakeholder Register which document all information about stakeholders, Name, Title, Contact details, Role in the project, requirements , impact, influence and more details depending on the organizational standard form of the stakeholder register.