This article contains most of the important information you need to know about Control Procurements process in order to answer questions related to this topic in the PMP Exam, I recommend you review this type of articles 1 week before your exam date, all information mentioned are based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition and PMP Exam Prep 9th edition for Rita Maclhy’s, ITTO refers to Inputs, Tools & Techniques and outputs.
This process is a part of Monitor and control Process group and Procurements Management Knowledge Area with the following ITTO’s
- Project Management Plan ( Change, Requirements ,Communications , Risk Procurement and Configuration Management Plans , Schedule Baseline)
- Project Documents (Requirements Documentation ,Project schedule , Lessons learned Register , Risk Register, Stakeholder Register , Milestone list , Quality Reports , Requirements Tractability Matrix . )
- Procurement Documentation
- Approved Change Requests
- Work Performance Data .
- Enterprise Environmental Factors
- Organizational Process Assets
Tools and Techniques:
- Expert judgment
- Claims Administration
- Data Analysis ( Performance Reviews , Earned Value analysis , Trend Analysis )
- Closed Procurements
- Work Performance Information
- Change Requests
- Procurement Documentation updates
- Project Management Plan Updates (Risk and Procurement Management Plans , Cost and Schedule Baselines )
- Project Document Updates ( Lessons Learned register , Recourses Calendar , Requirements tractability matrix , Risk register , Stakeholder register )
- Organizational Process Assets Updates
- It’s the process of managing procurement relationships, monitoring contract performance, and making changes and correction as appropriate.
- Involves managing the relationship between the buyer and the seller and ensuring both parties perform as required by the contract.
- A project that spends too much time dealing with contract changes should be reevaluated.
- A Buyer can terminate the contract at any time for convince or seller fault.
- It includes review of invoices , completer integrated change control , authorize payment to sellers, resolve disputes , hold procurement performance review meetings.
- In many cases the Procurement manager is the only person with authority to change the contract.
- Contract change control system , this system includes change procedures, forms , dispute resolution processes and tracking systems .
- Procurement performance reviews, Buyers project manager analysis all available date to verify that the seller is performing as they should., the purpose of this technique is to determine if changes are needed .
- Claims administration, a claim is an assertion that the buyer did something that has hurt the seller and the seller is asking for compensation , this technique deals with changes and disputes , disputes are the best to be settled through negotiations.
- Records Management system , Every email , every payment, and every written and verbal communication must be recorded , kept and stored. , in big projects one person or more maybe assigned for recording only.
- Contract interpretation , based on an analysis of the intent of the parties to the contract and few guidelines , a contract supersedes any memos or conversations that may have occurred prior to signing the contract.
- When changes and potential constructive changes where the buyer and seller cannot reach agreement on compensation for the change or cannot agree the change has occur , this is called a claim .
- The buyer , Usually through its authorized procurement administrator , provides the seller with formal written notice that the contract has been completed .