This article contains most of the important information you need to know about Control Schedule in order to answer questions related to this topic in the PMP Exam, I recommend you review this type of articles 1 week before your exam date, all information mentioned are based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition and PMP Exam Prep 9th edition for Rita Maclhy’s, ITTO refers to Inputs, Tools & Techniques and outputs.
This process is a part of Monitor and control Process group and Time Management Knowledge Area with the following ITTO’s
- Project Management Plan ( Schedule Management Plan , Schedule baseline , scope baseline , performance measurement baseline )
- Project documents ( Lessons learned register , project calendars , project schedule , resources calendars , Schedule data )
- Work Performance Data
- Organization process assets
Tools & Techniques:
- Data Analysis ( Earned value analysis , iteration Burndown chart, Performance reviews , trend analysis . variance analysis , What if scenario )
- Critical path method
- Resource optimization techniques
- Project management information system
- Modeling techniques
- Leads and Lags
- Schedule Compression
- Work Performance information
- Schedule Forecasts
- Change requests
- Project Management Plan updates ( Schedule management plan , Schedule & Cost baseline , performance measurement baseline )
- Project documents updates ( Assumption log , Basis of estimate , lessons learned register , project schedule , resources calendar , Risk register , Schedule data )
- It’s the process of monitoring the status of the project to update the project schedule and managing changes to the schedule baseline .
- When an agile approach is applied to the project , the control schedule process is concerned with reprioritizing the remaining work plan (Backlog) , managing actual changes as they occur , determining the project schedule has changed and conducting retrospectives if required .
- Project manager is responsible in this process to keep measuring against the plan and to take actions as needed to control schedule.
- If the project can no longer meet the agreed upon completion date , the project manager might recommend termination of project.
- Project manager should identify the need of changes and follow the change control process.
Iteration Burndown Chart , It tracks the work that remains to be completed in the iteration backlog , used to analyze the variance with respect to and ideal burndown based on the work committed from iteration planning.