This article contains most of the important information you need to know about Validate Scope process in order to answer questions related to this topic in the PMP Exam, I recommend you review this type of articles 1 week before your exam date, all information mentioned are based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition and PMP Exam Prep 9th edition for Rita Maclhy’s, ITTO refers to Inputs, Tools & Techniques and outputs.
This process is a part of Monitor and Control Process group and Scope Management Knowledge Area with the following ITTO’s
- Project Management Plan
- Project Documents
- Verified Deliverables
- Work Performance Data
Tools & Techniques:
- Decision making techniques
- Accepted Deliverables
- Change Requests
- Work Performance information
- Project Document updates
- It’s the process of formalizing acceptance of the completed project deliverables; it brings objectivity to the acceptance process and increases the probability of the product, service or result acceptance by validating each deliverable.
- In this process the verified deliverables obtained from control quality process are reviewed with the customer or sponsor.
- Validate Scope Process actually involves frequent, planned meetings with the customer or sponsor to gain formal acceptance of deliverables during project monitoring and controlling.
- It can be done at the end of each project phase during project life cycle and at other points throughout the project.
- Validate scope is done with customer multiple times in one project.
- Validate scope process results in formal acceptance by the customer of deliverables.
- Validate scope process is a must even in case of early cancelation or termination of the project to save any usable deliverables for other projects.
- Quality Control and Validates Scope processes are confusing , you need to know the following:
- Quality Control is done first
- Quality control is done by quality department as they check to see if requirements specified are met.
- In validate scope the customer checks and hopefully accept.